Error 6420 signifies that Probate Plus has been set to operate in full client-server mode but that the database server software cannot be reached on the server that hosts the Probate Plus data folder or that there is a communication problem between the client PC and the host server.
Double check the following:
- That you have purchased and installed the optional remote database server component, called "Advantage Database Server".
- That you have not inadvertently set Probate Plus to operate in "remote" mode when in fact it should be using "local" mode. "Remote" mode requires the use of dedicated, paid-for database server software running on your server machine. "Local" mode is free and operates on a peer-to-peer basis. The "local mode" database engine ships with Probate Plus.
- That a firewall is not blocking access to the server hosting the Advantage Database Server on port 6262 TCP / UDP.
- That the Advantage Database Server service is running correctly on the server that hosts the Probate Plus data folder. If the Advantage Database Server configuration utility reports that the service is running but that no database operations have been carried out it may be worth restarting the service as sometimes an automated overnight server reboot has been seen to put the service into a dormant / hung state.
- That if the client or server machines have multiple IP addresses (or NICs), ensure that if an ADS.INI is used that the correct IP address is specified.
- Finally, you may require the use of an ADS.INI file to fine tune how Probate Plus interacts with your network such as if the ADS server is not on the same subnet, or to assist the discovery process of the server. E.g. you are connecting via VPN. Create a file called ADS.INI and place in the same folder as the Probate Plus executable.
Below is an example ADS.INI content where the server that hosts the Probate Plus data folder and ADS is called MYFILESVR and has an IP address of 192.168.42.3
The ADS.INI file tells Probate Plus to bypass the automatic network "discovery" process that is used when Probate Plus starts up. The ADS.INI file needs to be placed in the Probate Plus application folder ( usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Law Systems Limited\Probate Plus v5 ).